[Spridgets] Forged rockers and Hardened Shaft

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Forged rockers and Hardened Shaft
From: Michael MacLean via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 06:25:21 -0800

--00000000000075da60060cf1c167

     I acquired a set of forged rockers and a hardened rocker shaft from
David Anton to "build" a new rocker arm assembly.  This is for the new
engine I am building to replace the rod knocking 1275 in my Bugeye.  For
what it costs, I am committed to put this assembly together.  The one
caveat that David told me when he sold me the set of shaft and rockers was
that the rocker bushes had to be honed to fit the shaft.  The hardening
process had increased the diameter of the shaft by a couple of thousands.
Not a problem.  I found a local shop that can do it.  The rockers should
have a clearance of 1 -2 thou for proper lubrication.  The one thing I did
not take into account was the pillars.  Should they be honed also?  I can
find no indication anywhere of the clearance dimension for the shaft to
pillar fit. Knowing that a tight fit will produce failure and too loose of
a fit will drop oil pressure.  A question for you engine builders out there.
Mike MacLean

--00000000000075da60060cf1c167

ockers and a hardened rocker shaft from David Anton to &quot;build&quot; a =
new rocker arm assembly.=C2=A0 This is for the new engine I am building to =
replace the rod knocking 1275 in my Bugeye.=C2=A0 For what it costs, I am c=
ommitted to put this assembly together.=C2=A0 The one caveat that David tol=
d me when he sold me the set of shaft and rockers was that the rocker bushe=
s had to be honed to fit the shaft.=C2=A0 The hardening process had increas=
ed the diameter of the shaft by a couple of thousands.=C2=A0 Not a problem.=
=C2=A0 I found a local shop that can do it.=C2=A0 The rockers should have a=
 clearance of 1 -2 thou for proper lubrication.=C2=A0 The one thing I did n=
ot take into account was the pillars.=C2=A0 Should they be honed also?=C2=
=A0 I can find no indication anywhere of the clearance dimension for the sh=
aft to pillar fit. Knowing that a tight fit will produce failure and too lo=
ose of a fit will drop oil pressure.=C2=A0 A question for you engine builde=

--00000000000075da60060cf1c167--

--===============3921735715763295603==

spridgets@autox.team.net

--===============3921735715763295603==--