[Fwd: How to make a Sprite go da'n fast]

To: Team Thicko Mail List <team-thicko@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Fwd: How to make a Sprite go da'n fast]
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 19:33:20 -0600
--------------AB790C110F6D9892F025A14F

Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 19:29:43 -0600
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
To: gio@sprynet.com
CC: Black Bart <blackbart@thicko.com>,
        Elmo Mancini <elmomancini@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: How to make a Sprite go da'n fast

Hey Jim,

The biggest mistakes I see A series guys make are in cam selection and
compression ratios. If you can't afford  to build the bottom end to spin to
9,000 rpm, then don't buy a cam with a power band that starts at 5,000 rpm.
Build a decent bottom end (maybe nitrided crank), stock lightened rods, Omega
cast or Venolia forged pistons, and select a cam that pulls from 3500 rpm to
7500 rpm. The key to fast lap times in a relatively low torque race car is
exit speed from corners, and that is a result of braking late, getting on the
gas early, and having the grunt to get out of the corner. Of course brakes,
tires, and suspension all come in to play, and the most important thing is
driver talent, but don't over cam an engine that you intend to redline at
7500 rpm. As far as compression ratios... gotta be at least 12:1 to make
horsepower.

Do you have Vizards A series tuning book? First on the purchase list. Next
thing I did was to talk to the unlimited budget types, then the guys that
were fast but on a serious budget... kind of brings the potential investments
in to perspective.

What's been done to the 948s? Want to sell 'em?

Have you been to the Team Thicko Mecca at <http://www.thicko.com>? Are you on
the Team Thicko mail list?

WST
Founder