legal issue

To: "Thickos" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: legal issue
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 11:17:12 -0500
To the esteemed Thicko brethren of the law profession,

As if I didn't have enough shit in my life... divorce and all...

It appears that there's a man by the name of Doug Kniff, in the Grand Rapids
area that claims to have puchased "part" of my Healey Sportsboat. This is
interesting, since I have/had no intention of selling my Healey Sportsboat.
I have not spoken with him yet, but he apparently was looking to get the
rest of it.

The boat was in a small town, near South Haven, where a "friend" was
supposed to be completing a restoration. This scenario goes back almost 9
years. He quoted a price, which I paid him up fron, in order that he could
purchase the materials necessary. A couple of years went by, and I would
inquire from time to time... he would claim to be making progress. Then, he
said he needed more money to finish it, which I provided. I paid him in
person, with a witness who knows the story, and a promise from him that the
boat would be completed. I also let him use my 4hp air compressor and
numerous body tools, spray guns. etc.

I haven't heard from him in a number of years... (my fault, I'm sure)... but
I never expected this.

I can prove I own the boat, or at least still get in contact with the man I
bought it from. The boat is documented on my web site. The "friend" that
"sold" my boat to Mr. Kniff, never contacted me, either via phone or in
writing to indicate that he either couldn't complete the project, that it
was done, or he needed more money than the agreed upon price he was paid
(which I do have in writing somewhere...).

So, all you lawyer types... how do I protect my interests in this? The boat
has great value to me due to it's rarity. Who do I go after, and how?

WST