Clark Driving Gloves

To: "'vintage-race@autox.team.net '" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Clark Driving Gloves
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 14:34:19 -0500
Regarding "vintage knit back driving gloves" Rod Schweiger wrote:

>Check out Griot's Garage, www.griotsgarage.com.
>Richard Griots claims in his catalog that he
>personally owns Jim Clarks origional leather and
>string back racing gloves and has had made an exact
>replica for sale at (I think) $89.95.

I've been wondering why no one was [re]producing the old "Jim Clark" driving
gloves that were widely available back in the 60's - I think I got mine from
MG Mitten, and went through more than one pair. Whether they had any
relation to the gloves Jim Clark actually wore was never entirely clear, but
the commercially available gloves were made of kangaroo skin (very thin,
very flexible) and were at least as safe as my Dunlop suit  :-) Just don't
wear them in the rain.

They are not, however, string-back gloves, and the "originals" Mr. Griot
refers to may simply be an old pair of the commercially available gloves. At
$79.95 they're a bit pricey . . . and there's no mention of kangaroo skin.

Jim Hill
Madison WI

///
///  team-thicko@autox.team.net mailing list