RE: 4:22 or 4:55?

To: <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 4:22 or 4:55?
From: "Jacques Le Clainche" <jleclainche@home.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 17:08:44 -0700
Fellow racers,

What would be a good axle ratio for a road-racing bugeye?... I am confused:
I heard from racers, with cars similar to mine, but all using different axle
ratios -4:22 and 4:55 limited slip diff...one uses a 3.9 open diff...  and
they all say that their ratio is fine! My car has a warmed up (13:1 cr),
overbore 948cc. Red line on the tach was set by the previous owner at 7500
rpm. Transmission is ribcage with Minimania straight gears... I have not
taken the diff apart from the banjo, and I don't know what it is- except
that it is obviously welded and I want to change it!

The only two tracks I plan to go to are Buttonwillow and Willow Springs...
If any of you raced there, what ratio did you use? I think VARA is normally
using course #14 clokwise at BRP.

Jacques Le Clainche
SCCA 1985 Mazda Spec RX-7 #44, San Diego region
VARA 1960 Austin-Healey Sprite #4, F Production

///
///  team-thicko@autox.team.net mailing list
///