VSCDA banquet $

To: <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: VSCDA banquet $
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:29:43 -0600
(Thickos in other parts of the country or world, please disregard, other
than for pure entertainment value....)

Yeow,

(OK, I already know how this is gonna go.... 'Thompson's spreading lies on
the internet" )

So, I was thinking about inviting my brother, maybe someone else, besides my
date... so, I looked at the banquet invitation.... dinner per member, with
one guest, is $40 a person. Additional people, $80 a plate. Huh? WHat?
$80???

My understanding is the club "subsidizes" this dinner. The VSCDA meal at
Maggiano's (where I've dined a number of times,) is served "family style".
Now, what that means is, you don't have a choice in the food brought to you.
You don't get a portion, you serve yourself (if you like it). Often, if you
ask the help for more of any particular dish, you're out of luck. Oh, I
should also mention that this is a cash bar evening. I think, there's some
wine served at the table with the meal that's included in the price.

Now, I have to say, my sorry ass has travelled all over the world on
business, staying/living in some of the very expensive spots in the world.
(For instance, with one company, my office away from IL was in San
Francisco. In another company, I was president of the US arm of a
Swiss/American corporation, and VP of Sales worldwide, and was in
Switzerland 6 to 12 times a year...). So, I don't consider myself naive when
it comes to travel, lodging, or dining costs. Whether it be NY, SF, LA,
Chicago, or anywhere in Europe, I've been there, repeatedly.

So, please tell me why it costs $80 (actually, tell me it costs $40 per
subsidized for a member and a guest while you're at it...) for a "family
style serving" of dinner at Maggianos?

Now, here's what's gonna happen. This e-mail's gonna find its way to a board
member, or the office, and people are gonna get their underwear in a knot.
There'll be veiled references to it in a newsletter maybe, or a series of
rapid fire e-mails will be exchanged (but none to me). The funny thing is,
I'm just asking questions. (Just as I was before the board meeting, where
apparently my e-mail that "asked questions" was quite the hot topic, and
printed copies were in the hands of all boardmembers at the meeting.). We
are encouraged to "ask questions" of our board members and officers, but
altogther too often, the questions are met with a very defensive stance.

So, if you read this, and it rubs you the wrong way, I'm gonna encourage you
to do exactly what the club does... "ask me a question". (Incidentally, not
one board member called me, or e-mailed me in response to the questions or
issues I raised prior to the board meeting.)