pea gravel and pace laps

To: <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: pea gravel and pace laps
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 09:31:28 -0500
Hey  youse guys...

A couple of things from the recent Elkhart Lake Fall Festival...

#1... since my car was running lousy due to my own vernier cam gear mishap,
I was at the back of the pack. The Group 2 race had a lot (and I mean a LOT)
of cars in it...and I was remended of 10 or 11 years ago when I raced te
Bishop. The "pace" of the pace lap was ludicrous. Those at the back of the
field are pedalling as fast as they can on the pace lap, on cold tires, just
to keep up. It's a dangerous situation... and the pace car needs to consider
the speed differentials in the group.

#2... while the pea gravel may be considered a "safety" addition at Road
America... mandated by CART (at a huge $$$$, and, by the way... will CART
still be in business soon?), it sure isn't safe for production cars. Of
course, we all know that if you get in it sideways at speed, you're likely
to dig in and roll. I blew freeze plugs in 2 successive sessions Sat.,
resulting in spins in 8 and 5. The pea gravel grabbed me like Velco, and
left me stranded at about the most dangerous portion of the corner. The
car's are not easy to pull out either, as a strap to the rollbar ususally
causes the car to burrow more into the gravel. I'd much rather take my
chances with slippery grass than the gravel.

WST