RE: 50th Anniversary Austin Healey races

To: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 50th Anniversary Austin Healey races
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 11:20:35 +1000
> So the
> spridgets are *much* faster on the twisty bits but the faster big Healeys
> just blow
> us spridgets away on the straights.

> The trick is not to get stuck behind the big Healeys once you get into the
> twisty bits
> or your lap times suffer badly!

Did I mention the strange rules for this series? big Healeys are allowed
alloy heads and other exotica, as well as fender louvres etc (the factory
rally look), but spridgets have to be all steel, no flares, 5-port head
only (the factory cross-flow is not legal).

Strangely the sprites are allowed billet steel stroker cranks. One of these
(1420cc) was in my class and it was *fast* in a straight line. I beat him in
all 3 races, but it was a *close* thing.

IMO, the UK healey series has a great set of rules, but ours are a mix-match
based in part on self-interest, on-part to reflect the people who wanted to
run in the series (and thus the rules were framed to include them).

A weird way to go racing, but we still manage to have lots of fun...

Mike