Re: Indy 500 (long & no real LBC)

To: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: Indy 500 (long & no real LBC)
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 10:59:15 -0500
I am reading a book that is one of the best written books on motor racing
I've read, and I've read a lot of them. It is the autobiography "Janet
Guthrie - A Life at Full Throttle".  I'm not finished but I can hardly put
it down. As you no doubt know, Janet started as an SCCA racer, ran Sebring,
etc etc, and was the first woman to seriously drive an Indy car. I've just
finished reading the part devoted to getting the call from Rolla Volstedt,
getting started, and coping with overcoming the feelings against women in
the early 70's. It gives some revealing insight into what it was like at
Indy  in the late 70's.

Janet is a superb writer (excellent education, MS in Physics from Michigan)
and is truly a class act. She built and maintained the cars she drove in
SCCA racing, including overhauling a Jaguar engine in the dead of winter
and building the roll cage in her Toyota -- which, by the way, still
exists, in show quality, and is raced in vintage events in the Midwest.