Re: [Thicko] All's well.....

To: "Team Thicko \(Team Thicko\)" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>, Gerald
Subject: Re: [Thicko] All's well.....
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 19:05:41 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Sat, 8/9/08, Gerald Brazil <gerrybraz@cablespeed.com> wrote:

> Even though the immediate problem is solved we would still
> like suggestions
> of A) how we might have solved the problem w/o pulling the
> engine B)
> insuring that this doesn't happen in the first place.

Gerry,
A response I got a while ago from an expert, Paul Asgeirsson. I've not done it
myself, but have not had the problem in 6 years after having it happen twice in
a month after I bought a rebuild that turned out to be a spray-and-pray.

Ron

==================
As for the gearboxes.  Several things, here.  The stuck in first gear is a
common thing when these are getting older and worn or improperly rebuilt. The
problem is that the interlocking pin on the first gear ring is too short.  As
the 3 pieces involved wear, the output shaft the inner first
gear slider and the first gear ring wear, the pin doesn't grow any longer!!
As a result, the detent balls will start to come out and will protrude far
enough so you can't slide the gear back.  You can open up the side cover and
press them back with screwdriver blade wile maintaining side tension on the
gear.  will do the same thing again soon, though!!!  However, I discovered that
an old Harley Davidson bearing has the same diameter pin in use but it's too
long.  Easy item to make shorter and fit all three pieces and the pin as I do
it.  I also fit a spacer on the shifter shaft so it won't go too far as a
backup fix.