Re: Lubing the Top Loader

To: craynal@wpo.borland.com (Chad Raynal)
Subject: Re: Lubing the Top Loader
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 96 13:09:08 PDT
> Hello everyone,
> Does anyone out there use synthetic in there Top Loader.  If so, what
> brand, viscosity, etc.  I guess, most importantly, what have the results
> been.  I am replacing my fluid, and I wanted to find out if anyone favors
> the synthetics available.  I know that Red Line has a 75W/80W manual
> transmission lubricant.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Chad Raynal
> '66 Mk1A

I commented on this a couple of weeks back, but I think it might be
worth mentioning again.  I replaced the non synthetic oil in my Cobra's
differential, transmission (T-10) and rack and pinion steering with
Redline synthetic.  In each case I used the weight recommend in the
manual and in each case leaks developed.  While the transmission leak
isn't very serious, the others leave noticeable puddles under the car.

If your Top Loader has had it's gaskets and seals replaced recently,
then changing to synthetic oil probably won't be a problem, but if they
are original or just old, I'd stick with regular gear oil for now.

To be honest, I didn't notice any difference in "feel" after
switching, but I don't know that any improvement would be something
you could feel.  When I pulled the engine this summer, I plan to
go through the transmission and differential and unless I learn of some
compelling reasons not to, I'll probably stick with the synthetic oil.
I certainly plan to use synthetic in the engine once it's broken in.

Roland