Re: Lubricants in Steering Rack

To: DRano4718@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lubricants in Steering Rack
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 96 8:15:56 PDT

> I thought about this when I rebuilt my rack. I considered putting a 1/2"
> theaded hole with a square pipr plug in the cover plate for just this
> eventuality. But really, how often do you need to do this? If you need to
> refill, you probably need to change the convolute boots to fix the leak &
> access isn't that difficult. BTW, has anyone tried synthetic 90 weight lube
> in the rack or anything else that improves steering effort?

I don't know how hard this is to do on a Tiger, but on my Cobra I crank
the steering wheel full lock, undo the outer clamp and shove the nozzle
of a squirt oil can underneath the gaiter, past the ball-joint and
squirt the oil in.  I do the same on both sizes.  It's pretty easy and
not very messy.  Most racks don't require much oil.  Mine takes 1/2
pint.

I'm currently using 140/?  wt Redline synthetic Hypoid gear oil.  As
I've already mentioned, it started leaking after I switched.  I switched
when I replaced the old gaiters.  BTW, I use 140 because that's what the
manual recommends.  Lots of people use 90 wt or even grease, apparently
without ill effects other than slightly stiffer steering in the winter
with grease.

Roland