Re: Rear View Mirror Refinishing

To: cjr7@axe.humboldt.edu (Chris Richards)
Subject: Re: Rear View Mirror Refinishing
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 96 9:25:12 PDT
> with the "krinkle" paint.  Replace the glass with a new mirror.  This is
>
> Regards-Chris
>
> On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, J_L_DONALDSON wrote:
>
> > rear view mirror.  I had to remove the glass to be resilvered and in doing
> >
> > Jim Donaldson

I agree.  Unless the old mirror has some special shape that can't be
easily duplicated, replace the glass.  Most any glass shop can cut a
flat mirror to whatever shape you like.  The main problem is that they
may not have mirror stock as thin as the the old, but you can get
rectangular replacement mirrors of various sizes from an auto parts
store.  Just make sure the replacement stock you get is silvered
(actually aluminized) rather than just treated with a reflective
coating.  Coated mirrors can be seen through when held up to the light.

I had a couple mirrors made for my snake a year or so ago.  It took
about 10 minutes for both mirrors including cutting and smoothing the
rounded edges.  Since I had done a bit of business with this place and
provided my own mirror stock, I wasn't even charged.

Roland