The Classic and Sportscar Show

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: The Classic and Sportscar Show
From: "G.S.Sutherland" <G.S.Sutherland@phil.hull.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 12:12:09 +0100 (BST)
        Did anyone make it down to the (UK) Classic and Sportscar show at
the Birmingham NEC over the weekend? I went down, but failed to spot any
Tigers (they must have been hiding), though I did see numerous Alpines
including two Harringtons, and one that raced at Le Mans. This one was
painted black and white, and can be seen lurking in the background of one
of the shots in the feature on the Tiger and Alpine in the December issue
of "Thoroughbred and Classic Cars".

        There were quite a few Cobras (the rich man's Tiger? :) ) on the
AC stand. All were lacking in "patina". Oh, and Roland's methord of
increasing the legroom in a Cobra brought a truly horrified expression
from one of C&Sc's writers...:)

        For a Classic Car show, there seemed to be a lot of modern
machinery lurking around, including a large number of MGFs, a brace of
Lotuses (an Esprit V8, and an Elise), TVRs, and Marcoses. I remember there
being a debate about using Tigers for everyday (freeway) transport a
couple of months ago, and what modern alternatives exist, and I'd
personally suggest either a TVR or a Marcos as a modern analogue to a
Tiger. Both have V8s, are British, have luxurious interiors, and are very
quick...

        Well, apart from the lack of Tigers, it was a fun day out!

                Graeme