Aero:Radiators:Thermostats

To: Tiger Newsgroup <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aero:Radiators:Thermostats
From: "Edmund E. Powell" <102430.3640@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 13 May 96 23:06:27 EDT
Bennett Cullen mentions a "shop over in Mesa that can re-core my old radiator
with a three row, big tube, 17 fin/inch  core that he claims will fix the heat.
I figure it still
has to get air flow through it to get it to work (based on the earlier post)."

I like heading east (from California) during mid-summer for vacation travels.
The Sunbeam Tiger is the vehicle of choice.  But, even when new, it ran _warm_
(ahem!) across the desert.  We used to leave L.A. area late afternoon to cross
Mojave desert at night.  Three years ago, I broke down, paid the bucks, and had
a three row radiator built and installed with a new fan, etc.  The thermostat is
stock -- 180 or 185 degrees.  Since then, I don't believe I have never seen my
temp gauge over 97 or 98 centigrade,  except idling on hot, immobile L.A.
freeways (so there's the airflow thing again).  In that case, I just revved up
the rpms for a minute or two and the temp came down.  In motion, however, the
machine remains at decent temps, including long climbs and desert driving.  And
now that the speed limit is higher, I'll be running the engine at higher rpms
where it seems to run smoother, with more power, and cooler.

Is it blasphemy?  Well, it ain't a stock radiator, but it keeps the engine temp
under control.  That means I can drive it across the desert, and that means I
can take it on holiday.  Ergo, thus and therefore, I am a happy camper.

Eddy "Don't forget the Bean-O" Powell