Re: wiring harnesses ?

To: Modtiger@engravers.com (Tom Hall)
Subject: Re: wiring harnesses ?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 96 11:44:41 PDT

> At 10:35 PM 5/22/96 -0400, you wrote:
> >To all, At some point in the year 3535 when I get around to complete my
> >tiger I will want to change out the harness ???? Is this a tuff job?,Can you
> >recommend any place to get one and the cost?, I had thoughts of putting in
> >better types of harnessess ? I mean non one or two fuze type setups !
> >Something you might find in Hot rods????? Does anybody have an opinion on
> >Todd "Hurricane" Harrington,
>
> First you've got to make firm decisions about "stock" vs "modified".  If you
> want stock wiring, call Rick @ SS.  If you want to do you own design, you
>
> Tom Hall

I suspect making your own wiring harness is equivalent to rebuilding
wire wheels yourself.  I thought I'd give wire wheel rebuilding a try
until I disassembled one.  I turned the disassembled wheel and the rest
over to the pros at British Wire Wheel and let them handle it.  Life's
just too short for some jobs.

On the other hand, when I found out a new Cobra harness cost $500...

So I have spent some time looking into it.  I haven't decided whether or
not I'll be doing it myself yet though.

Anyway, I know a fellow here in the Bay area with a TR2 who did make his
own harness.  Here's how he went about it.  He started by labelling each
wire as he disconnected it.  Then after removing it from the car he
tacked it down on a sheet of cheap plywood and used it as a guide to
make his new harness.  He claims it wasn't that hard.

If you want to go for the middle ground, i.e., maintain the original
British wiring, but improve things, like adding fuses circuits left
unfused by the factory, you can still buy wire with the proper color
codes.  Or so I'm told.

Here's some information I've collected.  Starting with a few addresses:

Narragansett Reproductions
Box 51
Wood Rive Junction, R. I. 02894
(401) 364-3839

Wire made in-house

British Wiring Inc.
20449 Ithaca
Olympia Fields, IL  60461
(708) 481-9050

Imported wire form UK.

British Pacific Ltd
3317 Burton Ave
Burbank, CA
(800) 554-4133

And some color codes posted to british-cars a couple of years back:

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 10:16:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>

- -----------------------------------
BROWN - Main fed from the battery. No switches or fuses
WHITE - Ignition circuit. again with no switches or fuses.
GREEN - IG circuit but WITH fuses and/or switches in the line.
BLUE  - headlights
RED   - Tail lights and side markers
BLACK - a straight ground
YELLOW - Generator connections wired through the IG
- ---------------------
Now the main colour followed by the strip colour cases:
- ---------------------
BROWN/YELLOW - GEN to volt. regulator
BROWN/BLUE   - IG switch to volt. reg
WHITE/RED    - IG switch to the starter solenoid and starter switch to
               starter solenoid
GREEN/PURPLE - Brake lights
BLUE/WHITE - your high beams
BLUE/RED   - your low beams
RED/WHITE  - the dash lights
That's the general rule of thumb. Hope this helps some of you.
Chris Ball
triumph@io.org

Happy wiring.

Roland