Re: Ugly cars

To: tigers@autox.team.net (Tigers)
Subject: Re: Ugly cars
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Thu, 23 May 96 22:40:15 CDT
CMottram wrote:
> If only AMC would have purchased Rootes, the possibilities would be
> endless..........

Interesting that Chrysler got 'em both...  Maybe they should come out
with "Olympic" special editions.  Dodge Javelin and Plymouth Alpine.

My vote for ugliest car has got to go to the Daimler SP250 Dart.  Many
ugly cars are cute in a weird way, but the SP250 is just butt-ugly, in
a fishy sort of way.  Instead of calling it the SP250 Dart, it should
have been the SP250 Largemouth Bass.

A few years back, Road&Track magazine had an ugly-car article.  There
were several letters to the editor with nominations (Pacer, Gremlin,
Citroen, etc.).  I can't remember which car was actually named
"ugliest", but the SP250 was certainly in the running, and in fact
may have been named "ugliest British car".

Of course, all my bad-mouthing the SP250's looks in no way implies
that I don't want one!

Speaking of AMC, my dad owned the AMC franchise here in town from
about '72 thru '81, corresponding to my age 12-21.  So I grew up
driving AMCs and Jeeps.  He also had the Renault and Peugeot
franchises.  Never could understand what the BMW 318 had over the
Renault 18i.  :^)   Check out my web page for more about my dad's AMC
place.
--
T.J. Higgins
tjhiggin@ingr.com