Grasping for a thread/Upper grill finisher

To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Grasping for a thread/Upper grill finisher
From: marrone@wco.com (Frank Marrone)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 07:44:22 -0700 (PDT)
OK, didn't think it was worth it but it has been kind of quiet...

My body restoration approaches conclusion and there are now lots of little
nagging details to be dealt with.  This is more of a story with a few half
questions attached.

The upper grill finisher don't fit.  The front of my Tiger was real messed
up with previous body work that had restored accident damage to a vaugly
Sunbeam like appearence.  The finisher that was on the car is now way too
short to fit the more properly repaired front end.  That old piece looks as
if it has been shortened with a grinder.  I got a new piece from Rick at
Sunbeam specialty and guess what, it's too long!!  The drivers side (we
replaced the fender on that side, also replaced the letter bar and the hinge
panel, valance, radiator bulkhead, both frame rails, bonnet, arrrrgghhhh!!!)
fits OK but besides being too long the fit is poor on the passenger side.
The new finisher is visably twisted and also looks flattened or otherwise
mishapen on the passenger side.  It is also obvious that the flat lip to
which the finisher attaches is too wide on the edge of the passenger side
bodywork.  The body guy is going to fix that.  He says he can make the
finisher fit right too.

Has anybody else have experience in this area?  Is it common to have to
"adjust" new finishers or should they just fit right out of the box?
Anybody want to loan me a never bent MKI Tiger for a few weeks so we can see
what one is really supposed to look like?

Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116
marrone@wco.com        1966 LTD
                       Series I Alpine  (2.3L powered by Ford)
                       Yamaha Seca 900