Re: Rob's racer

To: RKEMPINS@SSF4.jsc.nasa.gov, lrw@aop.com
Subject: Re: Rob's racer
From: Keith Bradshaw <bradshaw@utdallas.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 11:44:09 -0500
          Rob said:
         >Here's a topic for a thread - what would you do if you came upon a
         >complete but totally disassembled Alpine, with totally bare shell,
         >previously dipped and coated with epoxy primer, no structural rust
and very
         >minor dents, and you really wanted a specialized autocross car?

         >Juice up the Alpine motor?

no, use up too many expensive parts.
go for a cheaper motor that has current parts

         >Replace it with a V-8?

         And destroy the handling? (Ackermann probs)
Not really, if you do a Ken Miles like conversion you leave the Alpine steering
system intact.  Just run into a lot of weight up front.
I don't like th lot of weight.

         >Mod the suspension?
         I would try to lighten the h_ll out of the car.  Take a lead from the
Lotus 7.
        The suspension  just needs stiffer bushings. But try to take as much
weight off
        the car..get it under 1900 lbs.

         >Any opinions?

         Consider alternative motors.

        RX-7 with Turbo with bellhousing adapter to take a close ratio 6 speed.
        Regear a Z28 6 speed to get close ratio.
        Use the Rotary to keep the weight low.
        Use the 6 speeed to overcome the low rpm lack of torque.

        Maybe put one disc brake on the driveshaft (like a mid 50's Chrysler
parking brake)
        and lose the 2 heavy drum brakes on the axle.  You will be using you
front brakes
        75% anyway.

        Use a plastic outboard motor 5 gallon gas tank near the center of the
car (passenger
        footwell maybe).  Take out the steel tank in the trunk.

        No softtop or mechanism.

        Pull the windshield, make a cool little plexiglas shield, like Jerry
Titus used when he
        raced Alpines.

        Standard race car stuff...doors stripped, plastic hood, molded
cardboard trunk lid.
        Use molded cardboard for the trunk lid.  Probably need 3-5 for one
season.

        Single leaf springs in the rear.  Coil helpers on the shocks. Work out
self-steering bias on
        rear spring eye mounts.

        No radiator...coolant tank in center of car.  Use dry ice before run
begins...run coolant

        mix that won't freeze up.

        No battery....start with jumpers...use high energy Ni-Cad to run
ignition.. No alternator.

        Electric circulating pump for coolant... no engine driven water pump.

        Single coil per plug ignition with computer control.

I like this...it might work.

regards

mBrad