Re: ...no subject...

To: TBallou@LANMAIL.rmc.com ("Tom Ballou")
Subject: Re: ...no subject...
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 8:49:25 PDT

> Drano is Sodium Hydroxide.  It will not just etch your Aluminum, it will
> dissolve it completely and very fast.  NaOH is the active chemical used to
> extract Al from Bauxite.  Be very careful.  If you want to clean Aluminum, I
> recommend Oxalic Acid, Phosphoric Acid, or Hydro-Fluoric Acid -  All very
> dilute.  BTW, all will cause great discomfort from skin contact (HF will also
> eat glass, steel and most other things fast - it's really not for amatuers
> unless it is really dilute).  The caustic (NaOH) will do the same thing to
> your body that it does to Aluminum, in about the same time.  BE CAREFUL!

Absolutely agree with you Tom.  I wouldn't use it on copper or brass
either.  Peronally I prefer TSP to NaOH anyway, for the reasons you
state regarding handling.

I've used "mag" wheel cleaner on aluminum.

One comment on NaOH though.  A very dilute solution can be used on Al as
a pre-painting etch.  Very dilute!

Roland