"Renewed Faith", thats a good one!

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: "Renewed Faith", thats a good one!
From: marrone@wco.com (Frank Marrone)
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 12:26:41 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff and list members,

   It seems I've always collected something.  I've never made any money on
my collectibles least of all on the large number of debatably collectible
cars I've owned.  It is easy for me to accept that you might not understand
the wierd sort of pleasure that a collector can get from owning something
rare or historically significant.  I'm sure you do understand the point
about not wishing to see an investment dimish.

Even though some people might not understand, it would diminish a part of
what I enjoy about Tigering if all the original pieces were 100% faithfully
reproduced.  ALL I ASKED was that the repo parts be somehow distinguishable,
I stated that I would want to buy one, I agree that most or all of the
lettering should be present on the reproduction.

I do get your point about MGBs, I had a '73 OD Roadster that I loved.  But
that was a different thing, there was little or no collectible interest in
that car for me.  I was happy that the approx. 750,000 MGBs produced assured
that parts availability would continue to be good.  I already had an Alpine
and I was looking for another '73 "B" (for a 215 conversion) when I found my
Tiger.  I gave it some thought and decided that I had finally found "the
ultimate" car for me.  The LBC ascpect, FORD V8, history and collectability
all in one package.  At that time had I known about all the intolerance and
political BS in the Tiger community I would probably have avoided that car
like the plague.  As it is, the more I learn about THE CARS the better I
like them so it is to late to get out now.

So excuse me, Steve, if I ranted a bit.  Your right, there were no real hot
flames in your reply, I'm sorry about that.  Just please don't try to tell
me that Tigers are not compareable to Micky Mantel BB cards or rare coins
because as a collector of all three I assure you that they are, at least for
me.  It's funny how someone elses point of view is always whineing isn't it?

I do not intend to have my car sit as a museum piece, Ole, I intend to use
it up and when it is beat back into the ground I intend to "restore" it
again. If driveing the cars is your only perspective thats fine and dandy.
You have been in the hobby long enough to know that there is more than that
to some.

Those who want to drive their cars need reproductions.  Where did you guys
get the idea that I thought originality was the only thing or that no repo
parts are acceptable?  I can only conclude that most of you read my note and
decided to misinterpret (Dave, I always look forward to your hilarious and
profound one liners) my comments and use them a a springboard to do some
grinding of a rusty old axe.

This is the TIGERS list right?  I know that collectability and originality
do not interest many on the list but it has its place.

Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116
marrone@wco.com        1966 LTD
                       Series I Alpine  (2.3L powered by Ford)
                       Yamaha Seca 900