FREE Swill Pots for Tigers

To: "G.S.Sutherland" <G.S.Sutherland@phil.hull.ac.uk>
Subject: FREE Swill Pots for Tigers
From: Steven Laifman <av342@lafn.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 17:41:52 +0100
Graeme,

I think I figured out your 'swill pot' concept.  The purpose quoted was
to allow removal of air bubbles that get generated within the cooling
system.  The 'swill pot' allows them to rise to the surface and not get
carried forward for another pass thru the engine, where it doesn't help
cooling.  Anyway that's how I think you explained it.  It's a great
idea, and I can get all owners of Sunbeam Tigers a free swill pot - if
they haven't thrown it away!  The Tiger always came with a free one.
They may have called it an "expansion tank", as that's what it's called
on the Corvette Carroll took it from on the prototype.  It is mounted
higher than any other part of the cooling system, and will collect all
bubbles as they pass thru it.  The bubbles rise to the surface, and do
not flow thru the engine again.  The only way you can go wrong here is
if you try to defeat the original purpose of the expansion tank and
remove it, or fill it completely full.  It's supposed to have a layer of
air over the water.  This allows the water to expand as it gets hotter,
without pushing open the cap and going out in the street.  It will
self-empty itself at this point, but you can defeat it again by filling
it up again.  It should be just over half full at running temperature.
This does not, of course, apply if a water recovery modification has
been made.  The pressure cap allows transfer of fluid when a partial
vacuum occurs on cool-down thru a special 2 way cap and external
reservoir.  You got to balance that system vs the other, because I don't
think you can have both.

Enjoy your free 'swill-pot' and amaze your freinds that they can't point
it out when it's under their nose.  If anyone with a perfectly well
operating cooling system has converted only to the recovery system and
found an improvement, I'd be interested in the results.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/