Re: More Deadly Defects and lots more.

To: tigerpb@ids.net
Subject: Re: More Deadly Defects and lots more.
From: CMeinel464@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 23:20:21 -0400
Paul,

I was sorry to hear about the problem that you had with the lower fulcrum
pin. Franky, as a part vendor, I worry about the day when we will be no
longer able to purchase, ball joints, tie rod ends and the like form the OEM
manufactures in England. It's one thing to repro: lenses, chrome and rubber
parts but something alltogether to make parts that you may have liability
for.

I know Rick very well and I know the effort and testing he put into bringing
the repro LAT wheels onto the market, I would be suprised if he didn't put
the same effort in the fulcrum pins.  Did anyone ask Rick if he made the pins
or perhaps he was bringing them in from England like I do?

I do agree that if a problem existed, you should have been notified.
 Although it might not be practical to recall, perhaps a post card to inform
you of potential failure would have been a good idea.  I had a customer that
purchased Spax shocks and after a year or so called up yelling that the
shocks failed and caused damage to his Alpine.
Of course I don't make the shock, but I became the weak link in the legal
action. Only after 2 1/2 years of legal fees, it came to be known that he was
hill climing the car at the time of the so called failure.  I think Tom Halls
reaction to you first posting was more in that regard.  Rick, Tom myself our
owners/vendors, none of us would bring a part unto the market simply to make
a buck. If it was know that the part was bad to begin with, I'm sure it would
not have come to the market.

Best regards
Curt
Classic Sunbeam