RE:Potential Suspension Defects

To: RKEMPINS@SSF4.jsc.nasa.gov (Kempinski, Robert M.)
Subject: RE:Potential Suspension Defects
From: Tom Hall <Modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:23:49 -0700 (PDT)
At 05:52 PM 8/7/96 -0500, you wrote:

>As for the channel holding the fulcrum pin, if the pin sheared inside the
>channel, what would the failure effect be? Could the driver get around with
>this sheared until the broken piece of the pin backed out of the channel?
>
>Rob Kempinski

Rob,
        This is the anticipated function of the channel.  At this time it's
still
an undeveloped concept, and I have not attempted to build a prototype.
Physical capture on 180 degrees is largely given by the design.  The other
180 degrees involves that area between the pin and the crossmember.  Small
tabs tack welded to the crossmember might be required to complete this
capture.  Remember also that the distance between the bolt reliefs and the
bushings is as short as 3/4 inch.  This means that a stretching or opening
of the A-arm could allow the stubs to pull out the ends of the channel.
Maybe its better and maybe its not, but its worth discussing.

Tom Hall,  modtiger@engravers.com
STOA (Sunbeam Tiger Owners Association)