Re: Spammers

To: Alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spammers
From: DSand95510@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 12:55:46 -0400
About a week ago, Alpine and Tiger list members were asked if they wanted to
remove the "WHO" request function, so that spammers (advertisers) could not
easily identify and blitz us with their junk mail.  What has happened to that
poll?

If you want another vote, please remove the "WHO" command ASAP.  Its bad
enough receiving the quickly increasing volumn of spam - now it seems that
some of the "REMOVE" requests directed back at the spammers (containing all
sorts of colorful lanquage) are being routed in turn to the list subscribers
again.  Just what we need - double the krud.

I, for one, can live without the marginal utility that the "WHO" command
provides.

The E-mail marketeers are obviously just starting to get in gear.  In a few
months we should expect to be innundated with many times the current junk
volume.   Besides the time wasted wading through the garbage and deleting it,
if you don't have flat rate internet access, its starting to cost you money
in downloading time.  Imagine paper junk mail showing up in your mailbox -
with postage due!!   Until the lists or access providers come up with an
effective spam filter, its time to cut off the spammers' easy access - NOW.

Dick Sanders