Re: Aftermarket Shifters

To: "Spontelli, Ramon" <rs11@elsegundoca.ncr.com>
Subject: Re: Aftermarket Shifters
From: Tom Hall <Modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 17:45:10 -0700
At 07:12 AM 9/24/96 PDT, you wrote:
  . . .

>For some time now we've had this funny little intermittent thing.
>It always happened at standstill, where it wouldn't want to go
>into first or reverse.  Not directly.  You could put it in some other
>gear first, and then it would work ok.  It never happened while
>underway, until last Sunday.
 . . . it wouldn't go into second!   It wouldn't go into third, or fourth.
I use the "intermittent" word?  When we got home and I took it
>off the trailer, it was workin' just fine!  Grrrrrrrrrr!
>
>Ramon

Don't forget the interlock pins in the tranny case.  These could also cause
the kind of "lock up" problems you describe due to wear or a broken spring,
or even a shift arm that was coming loose.  If your problems don't go away
with the shifter, this may be your ultimate cause.