True Car Exhaust

To: <Jeff@v8tiger.demon.co.uk>, <C5813@aol.com>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: True Car Exhaust
From: Jay Laifman <JLAIFMAN@PNM.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 11 Oct 96 19:34:18 EDT
Jeff Howarth writes:

"I heard a figure a while ago relating to how much energy it took to
manufacture a new car which was more than it could use in its lifetime.
I know it's probably cleaner energy but it does help the argument for
extending the life of them. Anyone have any facts and figures ?"

***** NOTES from Jay Laifman (JLAIFMAN @ PNM) at 10/11/96 4:26p
I remember the posting.  Someone said that 80% of the pollutants a car
will create in its lifetime are made during the production of the car
itself.  I assume that means the byproducts of everything from the rubber
in the tires to the metal in the body to the factory assembling the car.
I don't know if it is true.  But, it certainly supports the argument that
it is better to keep an old car on the road than to create a demand for a
new one to be built.

Jay Laifman
(saving the environment by having two cars, where one of the two must
always be off the road at any given time, and saving *water* by one of
them being air-cooled [or oil-cooled, depending on how you look at it])