RE: Oil Leaks

To: Tigers <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Leaks
From: "Spontelli, Ramon" <rs11@ElSegundoCA.NCR.COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 96 07:04:00 PDT
>  One of the leaks is from the pinion seal and the other
>  is from the rear main seal.  My question is what is involved in
>  replacing the pinion seal and will I be able to do this job using
>  a floor jack and laying on my back.

The hardest part about replacing the pinion seal will be getting the
nut off the pinion shaft.  I don't remember exactly what the torque is,
but it's a pretty heafty number.  Once that's off, the yoke comes out
and the seal is right there.

By the way, last time I did mine, I discovered that the seal in the Tiger
was the same, exact, identical seal as the one on both axles of our
'79 Jeep Cherokee.

>  The second question is in regards to the leaky rear main seal.  Can this
seal be
>  replaced without removing engine and tearing it down?

I've always been able to do this just by loosening all the main cap bolts.
 This
lets the crank drop just a bit.  If the seal has been installed properly,
there will
be a 1/4- to 3/8-inch piece of the upper half extending below the block that
you
can grab onto and pull.  The tricky part is installing the new upper half
without
gouging it as you push it up into the block.  Clean everything off real
well, use
a small amount of petroleum jelly or motor oil, and be slow and careful.

Also, pay attention to the direction of the lip on the seal--you can install
the thing
backwards.

Ramon
rs11@ElSegundoCA.ncr.com