That darn Tie thread again?

To: Tiger list <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: That darn Tie thread again?
From: Larry Wright <Larry.Wright@mail.wdn.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 18:35:02 -0800
Bill Cartus wrote:
>Did a price ever get established on the tie (even ball park)?

No, Bill, you didn't miss anything yet. The mail-order-catalog price
seems to be thirty bucks. A few months ago I bombed the List about
some catalog putting a Dennis Simon tie, the "collage of racing
posters" one, on a 1/2-price deal, got one for $15.

Today a business associate gave me a copy of an article in Marylander
Magazine about Mr. Simon which suggests that he does do work on comm-
ission. It also says that ties can go from $35 to $300. At the latter
figure, it deuced well better be a one-off. My guess is that he either
has a locked-in relationship with a tie maker/printer who can quote us
a sliding scale based on the # of ties we're interested in, or mebbe
he only does the art and leaves us to our own resources on getting the
ties printed. We'll see..

BTW, I've already asked about mentioning this in the TE/AE newsletter.
Can any of you pass this idea along to CAT and STOA (or any other clubs)?
I'm interested in receiving "I-think-I-might-buy-x#-of-ties" messages
via e-mail, or phone (301-577-6574) or mail (Larry Wright, 9418 Dubarry
Avenue, Seabrook, MD 20706). C'mon, guys, let's get the unit-cost down!

Steve Sage wrote:

Hello Larry!
>(Hey, didn't you have a TV show by that name a few decades ago?)

Never heard that one, Steve.  :-/

 >Count me
>in for a tie or two. My vote is for the Rootes Group or Sunbeam official
>logos. I'd like it better plus it may be easier to market to other clubs
>like TE/AE that cover all the Rootes cars.

You and Chris want "logo" ties, and I was thinkin' more pictures of cars.
Hmmmm, mebbe best to let Mr. Simon work with as much raw material as we
can give him, and see what surfaces. I think the Porsche tie has both
(anybody have one? Jay?).

>By the way, when will you be ready to host another Tiger's United?????

Ya thinkng of another Larry, perhaps? Last United I was at (see archives),
I didn't have a Tiger yet, just worked at the Auto-x (1979 or 1980). Wouldn't
mind one around here again, not sure I'd be up to hosting it.

Larry Wright "I can't get no-- Satis-Traction"
Tie count @ sumpin' like 42...