Re: Tie Design

To: Tiger list <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tie Design
From: Larry Wright <Larry.Wright@mail.wdn.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 1996 10:12:02 -0800
Jay Laifman Wrote:
>In the most recent Road & Track, on page 170, there is an ad for "Vintage
>Neckware" by Dennis Simon. (SNIP)
>My thoughts after looking at these ties (IMHO) is that the tie should not
>be crowded with too many cars or too many colors.  It seems to make them
>look to gimicky and not as sharp.

The easy way out would be to picture just one car-- mine.  :)
I dunno; how many cars, and of what type, to display could chew
up a lotta bandwidth and still not satisfy everybody. Mostly, I
figured on giving the artist a fair amount of latitude, esp as
most of his work looks pretty darn good. Your comment on some of
them looking a bit busy is noted, the Porsche tie being an example
(isn't even _one_ Porsche too many? Just kidding.). Including a
variety of Rootes vehicles would broaden the tie's appeal, but
with a majority of potential buyers having Tigers and Alpines, in
that order, those models need to be prominent, right? Wasn't planning
on putting it up to a vote or anything, but the minimum array would
be something like:

- Mark 1A Tiger         (covers most Tigers and S. IV-V Alpines in looks)
- Series III Alpine     (covers the S I-III)
- Rapier                (gotta have at least one closed car)
- Talbot-style Alpine
- Imp                   (O.K., that's _two_ closed cars)
- racecar               (either a Harrington Alpine or Lister Tiger, make
                         that THREE closed cars).

That's six cars; one more than the Ferrari tie and way fewer than the
ten (or more?) on the Porsche tie. I kinda like the idea of incorporating
a Rootes logo if possible.

BTW, Russell on the Alpine list put me onto a lady in the UK offering an
Imp tie; I've ordered one, and will report on it when it arrives. I am
also considering that Monaco tie.

BTW, about Kanter: My experience with them, although good, is limited to
carpeting, which tells nothing about their abilities on engine rebuild kits.

Larry Wright "I can't get no-- Satis-Traction"