Vinyl ( Results )

To: corvair@jlab.mitre.org, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Vinyl ( Results )
From: Rick Fedorchak <richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 10:35:24 -0500
Thanks for all the input that I received recommending varous chemicals,
compounds, cleaners , etc. for cleaning vinyl. After trying a bunch this
weekend on my  _not so white_  vinyl top , I can report the following:

Simple Green, 409, liquid laundry detergent, Castrol's super cleaner ( or
whatever they call it ) ,various vinyl cleaners and most anything else I
tried got quite a bit of the dirt off, but didn't FULLY clean the top and
remove the
( mildew ? ) smudge and stains.

_The product that really made the difference was " X-14 Stain and Mildew
remover " bathroom cleaner._ Application of this stuff with a wet bristle
brush and not too much elbow grease got the top _ WHITE._

 Two notes though:
 ( #1 ) I probably wouldn't be tempted to use this stuff on a car whose
paint you really cared about ( just to be safe ) , or else I'd be REAL
careful.  ( #2) While this cleaner appeared to have no detrimental effect on
my top, YMMV.

As an aside, the use of X-14 made the cleaning task a little less
pleasant.....in the fact that the smell reminded me of performing  the task
for which this product was originally intended.  :~)

Most of the cleaners mentioned above ( particularly the Castrol ) worked
well on the interior, and I didn't have to resort to using X-14 there.

                                        Rick Fedorchak