Re: Rear End Gears

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear End Gears
From: SCHOTLAND <kmoon@cyberenet.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 96 13:19 EST
>Hi group,
>
>I am contemplating rebuilding the rear end on the Tiger (mine as opposed to
>the car isn't worth saving). I want to make the road trip over to Eureka CA
>next year and there is a bit too much backlash whine to make me feel
>comfortable. I have the stock 2.88 Salsbury and would like to go with a posi
>unit of some sort. I have seen written that the highest gears to consider in
>the housing are 3.08's with something to do about the bolts getting close to
>the edge. Will someone tell me exactly what this about. Also, what type posi
>unit will fit easily, what size 8.5" or 7.5"?, how many splines?
> approximate cost?, new or used? and any other information that could be
>useful in making an intelligent decision and purchase. Any comments would be
>appreciated.
>regards,
>Cullen in Tempe

Bennett:

I purchased a 3.07 (or 3.08?) Power Lock rear from Barry Schonberger of
Team Tiger Racing, Evansville, IN, ph: (812) 985-9592.  He can supply you
with almost any gear ratio in a standard or Power Lock unit, plus he can
tell you about all the pros/cons of each setup and recommend something for
your application.

Give him a call.  He's a hell of a nice guy, extremely knowledgeable and a
pleasure to deal with.

Gary Schotland