Jim Barrett's Tiger Tails

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Jim Barrett's Tiger Tails
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 19:37:33 -0500
At 09:10 am 12/12/96 PST, you wrote:
>WoW! You have been busy haven't you!
>Have you ever taken your tiger to the track? I'd really like to know what
>it would do in the quarter with slicks on it.
>My name is Herb. By the way, you didn't bore me at all. I found it
>interesting. I'm sure some of the die-hards are getting their hearts
>restarted about now.
>I don't have an answer about your rack but I would really like to know
>how you put headers on the boss 302!
>When I was rebuilding my 289 I put some 351 Clevland heads on the block
>just to see the clearance problem.(same as boss 302 right?)
>The exhaust ports were very close to the frame. I towed it to a guy that
>builds dragsters and he said he could do it but it would cost about
>800.00 and he woud have to make a motor plate and get rid of the motor
>mounts. I opted to put the 800.00 in head work on a set of early 351
>windsor heads instead That was about ten years ago. Who knows what it
>would cost today.
>Where are you located in Florida? I sure would like to see that beast!
>

>         Later
>
>             Herb

Herb,
        As I stated in my letter I did a poor job on the headers as I didn't
have the skill or tools at that time.  I fabricated the Head Plates out of
1/4" steel ( so far normal design).  I then used  cast iron 90 degree fittings
 ( I think for 1 3/4" water pipe).  I cut and ground the fittings so I had a
very sharp down turns ( and for some ports rear turns).  I brased the modified
fittings to the head plate and then added tubing from the fitting outlets down
to a homemade 4 wide collector. It was not easy doing this as all I had was a
little Sears Buzz Box and home made carbon arc to weld and brase the stuff.
It would be easy now with more smarts, a torch and a Mig welder.
        I live at 1054 Pineapple ave NE. Palm Bay Florida.32905.
phone 407-725-5728.
        I haven't taken the Tiger to the drag strip because I have
only a roll bar.  I would need a cage and probably a regular fire suit if I
expected to run after the first blast down the track. Not counting the cost
of the slicks.  Don't have the cash to spare with my kids in college.
Computer simulations predict low 11 with street tires and the gearing I have.

                        Jim Barrett, Tiger II and others. 12/12/96