Original Tigers & Dash boards

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Original Tigers & Dash boards
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 20:24:43 -0500
Phil,
        If I had tried to keep the TIGER II original, I would have given up
 and sold it.  The only time the original Tiger didn't get too hot was in the
 dead of winter up north.  There was just no place for the air to go after it
entered the radiator.  Mine is a daily driver and it is beginning to need some
interior and exterior work.  I have too many projects at once.
        By the way, for the discussion about Tiger dash boards; I understood
that
The Tiger II dash was covered in berl elm.  When mine finally cracked, and I
found
another Tiger owner locally who has aquired the original veneer.  The cost
was way
more that I had.
        There had to be a better way.  If I spent all that money for the real
thing, then in a few years I would have a cracked dash again. (Unless I
parked it
in an environmentally controlled garage and never took it out.)  I solved the
problem.  After regluing the 12 plys of wood back together, I glued on burl
formica.  It looked just like the original berl elm.  It was about $30 for a
4x8 sheet.  I did give it a spray of clear polyurathan several time to give it
the "deep" look of the original.  It has been on for 10 years and I have had no
problem.  You Just glue it on with contact glue ( no holes yet).  Then simply
knock a hole in the center of each gauge hole and use a router with a ball
bearing
formica trimmer bit to trim it up. Works great.
                        Jim Barrett, 351C Tiger II and others.