Re: Rear disc brakes

To: intrepid@gol.com
Subject: Re: Rear disc brakes
From: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:10:03 PST
On Thu, 12 Dec 1996 20:43:24 +0900 "Ed Schafer" <intrepid@gol.com>
writes:

>I am considering installing rear disc brakes on my 66 Mk IA from a kit
>fab'd for the Tiger.
>
>Would appreciate comments (good and bad) from anyone having experience
>with
>this type of setup.

I bought Dale's rear disc kit for my new MK1.  It works all right,
haven't really
pushed it yet  to figure out how well  (been making the rest of the car
hold
together).  The biggest problem was in getting all the parts.  Took many
phone calls, measuring parts he had already sent me (he has several
revisions of his kits) and then had to get my brother to make me the
final
few.  Dale finally came through with the missing parts a month after I
had the brakes in the car....   The last time I talked to him he said he
wasn't going to sell parts unless he installs them.. idle threat... I
don't
know.  I had Paul Reisentz helping me install mine, that especially
pissed Dale off.  Oh, did I mention that you don't get any instructions?
If you buy his kit, I could give you some tips.  The kit is advertised as
bolt on but probably due to the tolerances of the Tiger body and
axle flanges, you need to do some custom fitting, etc.

The kit uses Fiat 124 calipers with integral parking brake mechanism
with some good looking cables which do work very well.

Gary Winblad