book review

To: Tiger list <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: book review
From: Larry Wright <Larry.Wright@mail.wdn.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 18:56:01 -0800
I just finished " Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger, the Complete Story" which
I got for a X-mas gift. Comments:

a) P14: "and after a brisk fight wtih William Lyon's SS Cars concern, Sunbeam
was also purchased in
July 1935" Whoa! Never heard that before! Our cars coulda been cheap Jags
instead of sporty
Rootesmobiles. Anybody want to take a crack at another 'alternative timeline'?

b) p114: "there was a stage ar Jensen (it was one of the very first
operationas, in fact), on the
assemble line, where a large gentleman with a sledgehammer had to step into the
engine bay -
high-tech engineering -- to attack the bulkhead to make space for the Ford
engine". Bla-bla-bla
follows, and seems to be a quote. Well I've had the engine outof the Garage
Queen, and my bulkhead
does not look bashed-into-shape. I know that there's some secretiveness about
this part of the car,
and mebbe for good reason, but mine looks much more like a competent pressing,
and I'm pretty sure I
don't have an Alger. Is this guy "Mr. Robson" a Tiger guy, and enough of a
wrenchslinger, to know
from experience what a Tiger bulkhead looks like?

c) p73: " there was no such thing as a Harrington Tiger". Well, Kevin's
calendar shows different! Is
the existance of, or the validity of, this car in question?

d)I think it was Rick Fedorchak who pointed to a pic of a Rapier and noticed
the similarity to some
Studebakers. p32 " the original Rapier of 1955 was very clearly related to the
1953 Studebaker" and
point to some common detail points and the common Loewy/Howes influence on both
cars. Sharp eye,
Rick!

Any other thoughts on this book????

Larry Wright "I can't get no-- Satis-traction"