Navel Lint and Taillights

To: larry.wright@mail.wdn.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Navel Lint and Taillights
From: Jay Laifman <jlaifman@pircher.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:29:00 -0800
Larry writes:

"Hey, there's lotsa customers who'll pay for genuine Rootes
navel lint"

I am going to show this to my wife!  To this day, she is astounded by
navel lint and does not believe there are others out there who know
anything about it.

"Jay, is that for a California law or sumpthin?  Eh, I guess that, as you
put in more street time than I do, the fact that the amber ones can be
seen from 18.174 meters further away really means something. It just
doesn't go with tailfin-era cars, or at least neither of my mom's 1957
DeSotos had amber lights back there."

No law.  In fact the opposite.  When these cars were new, amber taillights
were illegal in the US.  I think Ralph Nader and crew thought they would be
too bright and distracting.  So, European cars got amber taillights and US
cars got all red.  Same thing with the halogen headlights.  I think they
just look cool (and I have a credit at Sunbeam Specialties).  If we want
bright, wasn't it you, Larry, who ran the e-mail thread about halogen
brake lights and the LAT vents to cool them?

Jay Laifman
Pircher, Nichols & Meeks
Los Angeles, California