Progress on SB42

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Progress on SB42
From: "Robert L. Norton" <rlnorton@alumni.caltech.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 08:23:54 -0800 (PST)
For those who missed it the first time around, there is a bill
winding its way through the California State Senate, SB42, that's
of interest to all Californians with older cars.

This bill would change the current exemption (from smog testing)
from 1965 and older to all vehicles 25 years or more old.

The latest word from Sacramento is that the bill passed the
transportation subcommittee unanimously (6-0).

The bill was sent on to the Senate Appropriations Committee for
review.  My personal, limited view of this is that this should
be reasonably pro forma, since there is no cost impact (other
than some loss of revenue due to not testing some vehicles).

It would behove all of us to continue the pressure on our State
Senators so that the bill doesn't get bogged down in Committee.

Bob Norton