Re: Ackerman

To: anitabrt@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Ackerman
From: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 21:08:16 PST
On Wed, 05 Feb 1997 22:56:27 -0500 Anita & Jim Barrett
<anitabrt@mindspring.com> writes:
>At 10:18 am 2/5/97 -0800, you wrote:
>        I spent many hours on my computer using Wolfrum Mathematica,
> and under my Tiger trying to find a way to solve the problem.
> All the attempts at adding some sort of idle arm either did not solve
>
>the problem because the "linear" motion changed to tangents of curves.
>and just changed the problem.
>  I am presently "attempting" another fix that has fixed arms attached
> to the ends of the rack.  The fixed arms are lined up with the end
> of the steering arm on the spindle.  This took MAJOR surgery on
> the cross member.  I still have a problem in that the arms are off-
>set from the rack (toward the back of the Tiger) and they seem to
> cause a rotational force on the rack.  I may have to add a cross rod
> in front of the rack. With the rod supported in a linear bearing and
> the rod attached to the arms. This modification does allow almost
>correct Ackerman.

WOW, sounds exotic... and I can't quite picture it but would like more
info...   are you talking about eliminating the ball joint at the end of
the rack?

> The "almost" conserns the fact that The steering arms
>are too short.  Can't make them any longer or they hit the inside of
> the wheel.

Well, you just need bigger wheels!  Ken Mattice's solution is to
use MGB steering arms which are longer.  This WILL help but
not correct the ackerman problem.  Doane Spencer's solution
was to move the steering arm futher outboard, this too will
help but not correct the problem( I calculate it would be correct
IF you could move the steering arm outboard at a 45degree angle!!).

>      The real solution is to move the motor back several inches, and
>remount the rack directly in line with the steering arms.  Just
>because the
>firewall is in the way .......etc.

Yes, and don't forget the major crossmember hacking... but
Tom Hall probably has that worked out by now...
Well Jim, I too have spent long hours in front of the computer
studying this problem and my solution is:
Leave everything where it is except move the rack.  Get a
rear steer rack from a front wheel driver (Chevy Cavileer) and
put it under the engine.  This will give absolutely correct
geometry.   The big problem is one you already solved,
you need headers with a flat collector so theres enough
distance between the oil pan and the header pipes for the
rack to pass through...  Or you can use rear-exit Mustang
type manifolds (like the ones so graciously donated by my
sponsers Ramon and Frank!!!) but you need to kinda
expand the tranny tunnel.. (no problem if you're hacking
up an Alger like mine)...

Man, this is getting me exicited to work on that project
again...  now see what you done..

Gary