Girling Kits

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Girling Kits
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 21:40:44 -0500
At 04:03 pm 2/23/97 +0100, you wrote:
>I am having problems with my MK IIB Girling vacuum brake booster eating
>all my hydraulic fluid.  Kind of dicey, gettin home with your emergency
>(parking) brake.
>
>Am going to have it professionally rebuilt, but it seems there is a lack
>of MkIIB 7" rebuild kits.  This is NOT the original unit with the
>bolt-on diaphragm cover, but the similar unit with a outer ring around
>the cans.  Although it looks like the ring can be rotated 15 degrees to
>allow disassembly, I am told that the official procedure is to cut it
>off because there is a replacement bolt together band in the kit.
>Anyone out there with a source for the complete rebuild kit (have part
>numbers if needed)?  Anyone with hands-on experience in re-building
>without one?  Not shopping for a mechanic, just kits and experience
>base.
>
>Steve
>--
>Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
>B9472289              < important in your life    >
>                      < and don't let it get away!>

Steve,
        I have servo kit Girling SP 2228X3 for a 7" Tiger servo  It also has
the Victoria British Ltd. part # 7-691 on it . It is for a Girling Mark 2A with
the bolted cover, not the the MK2B with the crimp band. Sorry.  VB has your
kit Part # 7-649 for $189.95 (Summer 96 catalog).
I rebuilt power brake units for a living a long time ago and a rebuild kit
was about $12.  The "Bendix Hydrovac" which came in many sizes was
very similar to the Girling units in function.  Chevs of around 1960-64
used them as well as many trucks.  It may be cheaper to go to one of
these, than to stay with the Girling.  I long ago gave up on power brakes
and simply added a splice fitting in its place.  I have no trouble stopping
and I don't I push the pedel very hard.
        Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others