Re: The trouble with TAC / Call for consensus and sanity.

To: richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: The trouble with TAC / Call for consensus and sanity.
From: HW200@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 13:18:15 -0500 (EST)
Consensus....
-From my individual standpoint I see mistakes being made when a group of self
proclaimed authorities (individuals) take a marque "under their wing". I have
seen inaccuracies in the "official registry" as a result of  numbers being
swapped accidently by the "informant". That equates to a lesser value on that
vehicle especially when the buyer has access only to volume I, of the
official registry. Don't get me wrong, I think that documentation is
terrific, but mistakes will, and have been, made and that can cost innocent
"non authorities" money. So the TAC folks, can giveth, but they also will
taketh away.....

All this stems from somehow creating parameters to evaluating(documenting)
originality and history of a vehicle. Not to belabor this point but HOW can
any one person, or localized group establish this information 100% correctly?
Especially when they would be incapable of complete follow up on all entries
to a documented registry. One slip of the "informing authority's" pen and you
may have just confused two cars as one in the same. Question marks equal less
value, and that should not be dictated by such a mistake. This has happened:

Please se B382001743 and B382001734 in your registry. A simple mistake in
reporting information becomes a question mark... which becomes the plague if
the owner ever wants to sell that vehicle. That vehicle is mine, it is
straight, and it is being restored. It should not be confused as any other
vehicle. If I ever sell that car I will hope that the new owner has volume 2
of the registry, if the correction is made!

Overall the information is great to have, and every marque has a self
appointed authority or two, to help the rookies out, and it serves a great
purpose in that regard. But let's keep the self appointed "hit squads" and
"informants"  to a minimum as the information that they sometime retrieve
secretly is not always correct. That can do more damage than good to the
marque-

Hank