Re: I think the point was missed...

To: DDOORNBOS@rr5.rr.intel.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: I think the point was missed...
From: HW200@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 13:29:15 -0500 (EST)
Dan, I think you are right!

The question I asked was if an Alpine body was used to save a Tiger, would it
still be a Tiger. The answer is yes,  (If all the production line items and
techniques are still visible) . It took a long time to get it because there
was some confusion as to  the VIN plates being removed, (original rivets)
etc...for whatever reason.

To reply to Norm, I don't think this is "babble" as he puts it.  Norm states
that to be TAC certified the Tiger must show the factory production line cue
tones. That doesn't apply to the first Tigers produced. There are obviously,
 then, exceptions to the rules. What other exceptions to the rules for TAC ,
and the data they exchange with the registry is being explored here. That
seems to make some people in the tiger circles nervous, and that's
interesting.Tom Hall stated that there is an exchange of data when there are
question marks.  Norm I know admits there are mistakes made in the data, and
that the constant collection of new data is a great service. I agree with
that whole heartedly.

This however does not answer the first question asked. Should we crush 'em,
throw 'em to the boneyard, or fix them with using an Alpine body? It is a
remake, rebody,  restoration, wrecktified, or great looking Tiger when it is
done?  If it shows the production line "cue tones" will it be certified by
TAC as authentic Tiger. OK.

To be defensive is the wrong way to handle a response to a necesary question
to save a Tiger "wreck" or "rust bucket" or  "crusher", whatever you wanna
call it. There are going to be more folks asking this question every month,
every year, until the last Tiger is gone(or restored). To promote a correct
restoration, (even using an entire Alpine body), I think is looking at the
bigger long term picture of  saving Tigers, and the enthusiasm that follows
them. Why can't there be an open, no secrets approach to restoring a Tiger to
TAC certification levels. That preserves the Tiger marque.

This is about correctly preserving a Tiger. What are the guidelines in saving
such a car, and how much Alpine can be used without classifying it as
anything less than an authentic Tiger. That was,  and is, the question. It
has stirred quite a debate, and there is nothing wrong with that. Some call
it babble, some think it's interesting and have found their respective soap
boxes in a hurry and hopped on. Now it's time to return to our regularly
scheduled program (Tie Talk).
Hank