COBRAS BUT NO REPLICAS

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>, rootes@ix.netcom.com
Subject: COBRAS BUT NO REPLICAS
From: Dave McDermott <Dave.McDermott@cusys.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:43:41 -0700
        Roland and all,
        Last weekend myself and some other members of the Colorado
Association of Tiger Owners (CATO) made a field trip to what I would rate as
absolutely the best collection of Shelby related products anywhere. It is
called The Shelby American Collection. It is a privately owned collection
not affiliated with SAAC and is located at 5020 Chaparral Court, PO Box
19228, Boulder, Colorado 80308, tel 303-516-9565. It is about 10 minutes
from my office. There was an article in Autoweek in January describing the
opening ceremonies which included a large number of people associated with
the Shelby and Ford racing programs including old Shel himself. The cars
change from time to time. The Daytona was not there since it was sent to
Vegas on loan and the GT40 was sent to the restoration shop of Bill Murray
who has now restored or worked on around 100 of the 700 or so original
Cobras. Anyway there under one roof ( hold your seat Roland) were 12 of the
most historically significant Cobras in the world including three original
factory team cars, the very first Cobra, the FIA car that finished 2nd in
the 64 Targa Florio (remember a Tiger finished 2nd in 65) etc. Also there
were a couple of Ferraris, the Porsche 904 that beat the Cobra in the 64
Targa, an AC Ace, a couple of GT 350s including unrestored 002 which is the
first R model recently discovered in Mexico and was the car shown in the
famous picture with all four wheels off the ground and a few other cars.
Also there were various  historic bits and pieces like the original pit
boards and Holman and Moody shipping crates from Lemans.
        If any of you are in the Denver-Boulder, Colorado area on a Saturday
which is the only day it is now open it is something you should not miss.
The admission is $5 each or $300 for a special group day. Also while your
here give me a call.

        Dave McDermott