RE: Brake booster questions

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Brake booster questions
From: Jay Laifman <jlaifman@pircher.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 13:46:00 -0800
I did some research about brake boosters.  This is what I know.

There are currently three boosters still made by Lockheed that are
available for our cars.  One is sold by VB, one is sold by SS and the
other is sold elsewhere for Jaguars and other cars.  I wrote to Lockheed
itself and asked about which one is correct for our cars.  They wrote
back on official stationary, with two signatures authenticating the
advice, stating that the one for the Jaguar was the correct one for the
Tiger and Alpine.

Unfortunately, this was after I bought the VB one.  The reason I bought the
VB one over the SS one was that I thought they were the same servo but
that the VB one came with a "kit" for installation for about the same
money.  As it turns out, the "kit" is practically useless and the servo
has less boost.

Here are the boost ratios:
VB   1.9:1      (LR17813)
SS   2.3:1      (LR17792)
Jag  3:1    (Lockheed Part No. LE10117 = kit form)
Stock 3:1                      LR18221 = servo only)

The kit contains two flimsy metal brackets, a couple of hoses, a few
adapters to get the right fitting for the vacuum at the engine, some hose
clamps and a one way valve for the vacuum line (to save pressure on
deceleration).  The stuff is nice, but probably cheaper elsewhere, and
not worth giving up on the SS one.

I also remember that there is one out there call a "Brooklands" servo.
But, I don't know anything else about it.

So there you have it.

Jay