Re: Engine number mysteries revealed!?

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine number mysteries revealed!?
From: Douglas Pruitt <DOUGLAS.PRUITT@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 03:27:41 +0000
At 01:05 PM 4/10/97 +0000, you wrote:

>On  Wed, 9 Apr 1997 Dennis Adderton wrote
>Subject: engine numbers
>
>"I have a 66 Mk1A that I recently bought. I'm trying to
>figure out what engine it has in it <snip>
>C4OE-6015-C  The C4OE says '64 Fairlane engine. Is this
>engine supposed to be in a Tiger? Does the rest of the
>number indicate whether it's a 260 or a 289?  Is it true
>that, due to thin wall casting, a 260 cannot be bored to
>a 289?"
>
>All Mk 1 & 1A Tigers had '64 Ford Fairlane engines.
>Rootes bought a big batch of them and used them until
>the MK2 came out with a 289.  If it truly is a '64 Fairlane
>engine, then it's a 260.  While your engine number
>does not mean anything to me, the 260, 289 and even
>the 302 are essentially the same block, so boring out is
>certainly possible.

        This is wrong! The 260 cannot be boared enough to make it a 289.
These three engines are basically the same but the walls were cast with just
enough metal. Check any of the rebuild books. Also if you decide to swap
engines, be aware that in the middle of the 289s the bellhousing bolt
pattern was changed. The 260s and early 289s had 5 large bolts and the late
289s and the 302s had 6 large bolts. The Tiger's transmission does not bolt
up to the late bellhousing. You can get around this by using a blowshield or
maybe by machining the late bellhousing.
Doug Pruitt
Frederick, Maryland

Zort!