Rear ends for Alpines

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rear ends for Alpines
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:35:51 -0400
At 02:36 pm 4/22/97 CDT, you wrote:
>I'm looking for a Tiger rear end for my Alpine V6 (or hot Alpine 4cyl,
>can't decide...).
>
>If you have a Tiger parts car or a complete rear end please send email
>with your phone number(s). (I'm in Austin, Texas; will travel).
>Thanks,
>gale (gawilson@vnet.ibm.com)

Gale,
        You might consider a Jeep rear end . It is a Dana similar to a
Tiger.  I have
a Jeep " Post Office" rear under my 66 Alpine with a V6 Mercury Bobcat ( Caprii)
motor.  The rear end is 1" shorter than the Tiger rear.  It also has 11" drum
brakes and unfortunally a 5X51/2" bolt pattern.  I use Ford truck 15" rims
on it.
The emergency brake linkage is a pain as the 11" drums have the levers for
the cable
coming out the front.  You have to build a driveshaft to fit.  Take the spring
pads off the Alpine and weld them on the Jeep rear end.( Or fabricate
similar pads).
The 170 cubic inch Caprii probably would not break the original Alpine rear.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others.