Viper vs. Tiger

To: Tiger List <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Viper vs. Tiger
From: Patrick Lauber <rolite@tusco.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 12:53:33 -0400
Hi everyone in Sunbeam land!

I am responding to Armand Ritchie's note regarding the Tiger/Viper
comparison. I have both a '67 Tiger II and a '94 Viper and I must say
that there is really is no comparison. They are really different cars to
drive, but both are brutally fast and exciting.

The Viper is a simple car, but it has definitely benefitted from three
decades of technology. The huge gummy tires on the Viper make it much
easier to handle than the Tiger, but the tires still spin on shifts into
five of its six gears. The Viper feels much heavier and longer than the
Tiger, though.

The Tiger is just as much fun to drive, really. Both garner stares from
car lovers everywhere. In street form, the Tiger is not nearly as fast
of course, but in terms of smiles-per-mile, it's a tough call! You
certainly feel more "on edge" in the Tiger given that you are achieving
illegal speeds with 30 year old hardware.

I expected performance and stares with the Viper, but I was surprised to
read in the Viper's owners manual that you should expect to use one
quart of oil for each tank of gas! Of course it has ten quarters of oil
- one per cylinder.

I bought the car a few months ago in showroom condition with just 4,500
miles on the odometer. I haven't driven it much yet, given a wet Ohio
Spring so far, but I'll report in a more complete comparison to the
Tiger later this Summer.

Happy Tigering!