Re: The Inside Story ---Wipe Out

To: Larry Wright <Larry.Wright@mail.wdn.com>
Subject: Re: The Inside Story ---Wipe Out
From: Alvin and Lucille Johnson <johnson@ids.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 20:34:32 -0400
Larry---some unsolicited advice.
   When I installed my refinished dash, I wanted to find a way that I
could get the glove box out easily in the event that I had to get at my
windshield wiper motor. The last glovebox had been torn out when my
wipers failed and I had to get at the motor that is positioned
inaccessably behind the glove box. And because the wiper motor is a
Lucas product, another breakdown is always possible.
    What I did was I slotted the holes in the top of the cardboard
glovebox, just the ones you can't get at when the dash is assembled. I
left all of the holes that were accessable alone. The slotted holes were
fastened just like the others, but not too tight so the glovebox can be
removed. All you would need to do is loosen the fastening screws you can
get at (on the sides and bottom )Also, I stiffened the cardboard
surrounding the slots with a little 2-part epoxy . Of course the epoxy
has to be fully dry when you assemble, it just makes it a little more
durable and smooth so it wont hang up if you have to remove it.
    Well, I haven't had to get at my wiper motor yet, but I can if I
have to. This is a simple precaution when every thing is disassembled as
it now seems to be.
    Thank you for chronicalling you interior adventures. That could very
well be a winter project for me. My car radiates so much floorboard
heat, the wife won't ride in it. So it's insulation time. Al J.
(B9472024)