RE: "New" Series V - week 7 (Dash)

To: alpines@Autox.Team.Net, "'Steve Van Ronk'" <glblitnpwr@nidlink.com>
Subject: RE: "New" Series V - week 7 (Dash)
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 23:28:13 -0700
        Since you used a solid piece of wood, warping is a distinct
possibility.  One way to reduce this, is to add small "angle Iron"
pieces to the back of the dash board.  Go across the grain because this
the direction of the warping.  I've seem some beautiful walnut and
hardwood custom dash boards that looked fantastic, until they warped,
cracked and split.  This is why Normally, a high grade of Marine
exterior plywood is used with a thin vaneer (sp) of the exotic wood
covering the plywood attached by a high grade Marine adhesive.  Since
these LBC's sit out side, and even sometimes get wet on the inside, the
Marine materials are, imo, the best way to go durability, and longevity.
The solid dash may look slightly better in the beginning, but it will be
dam difficult to keep it that way.  Good luck.  Personally, while you
have all of the jigs already set up, I would build a second one out of
the Marine materials.  This way, you have a backup unit for quick
replacement, should the warping ruin the solid one you just made.

Rich