Ford blocks

To: Tiger List <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Ford blocks
From: Jim Parent <jimparent@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:56:07 -0400
My reference sources show that ALL the FORD 90 degree V's (starting in
1962) were thin-wall castings.  That was part of the reason they were
developed; to make use of that new technique.

In addition, and I quote, "In the middle of 1965 Ford switched from a
smaller five-bolt bellhousing to the now-standard six-bolt design.  All 2=
21
and 260 engines are five-bolts, all 302 and 351-Windsors are six-bolt, bu=
a 289 may be either.  If you are shopping for a 289, you would probably
prefer a six-bilt since thises will accept 11-inch clutches and flywheels=
,
the top-loader four speed, and specialty scattershield bellhousings."

Now back to my opinion:  I think most people may think of 5.0's as the FI=

engines and the 302 as carb users.  The 302's are a little different
internally from the 289's in that the bore skirt length is about 0.130"
longer. to accomidate the longer 302 stroke but there are a lotta 289's
with 302 cranks in them that run and run and run.

Regards,

Jim Parent
B9470139